Having enjoyed my trip by mountain bike from Sydney to Melbourne in 2004, I decided to tackle a longer trip in 2005 and the idea of riding from south to north through the centre of Australia had a lot of appeal. I love the vastness and isolation of the Australian outback and this seemed a good opportunity to enjoy both.

Adelaide to Darwin MTB - Renner Springs to Dunmarra

Day: 015
Date: Wednesday, 7 September 2005
Start: Renner Springs
Finish: Dunmarra
Daily Kilometres: 192
Total Kilometres: 2417

Journal:
Got up at 4am after a restless night and was on the road by 4:45am.  Another starlit night and I saw a meteor soon after starting.  Made reasonable progress although there was already an opposing wind.  There weren't as many hills although I felt quite high, presumably on the Barkley Tablelands, and I could see a long way to the east and west.  The country gradually became more forested with lots of grassy areas and looked to be reasonable cattle country.  I think this is the land of the big station.  I reached Elliott at 9:15 am and found a roadhouse where I ordered a cooked breakfast and milkshake.  The town was very hot and dry with a large aboriginal population.  It looked well-kept, but a long way from anywhere, and I wouldn't want to live there.  After an hour I sett off northwards in the baking sun and gusty north wind.  I resolved to drink every 10km and break the 100km into four sections with a break between each.  For my first rest break I stopped at a rest area and soaked my top in water to cool down.  Before breakfast, as I mounted the bike after letting a road train go past, something had gone wrong with the gears.  It looks like I have disengaged/broken the smallest cog on the rear wheel so that the top gear is no longer available.  Otherwise it seems OK so I have to decide whether to try and get it fixed in Katherine, or just keep going.  It wasn't much of a problem without the top gear today, so maybe I'll be OK.  Although it was a long hot hard afternoon, it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated.  The countryside is becoming greener and there are more signs of civilization although towns are still a long way apart.  I was very happy to reach Dunmarra at 4pm and checked in, washed out clothes, and had a shower.  I can probably get to Darwin on Saturday if I have three 200+km days from here.  It's going to stay hot but if the winds are favourable and I don't waste too much time in Katherine, I should be able to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment